Anthony Zampogna

August 2, 2012No Comments

ANTHONY ZAMPOGNA – Anthony Zampogna was born in Westline, PA on December 16, 1920 to Italian immigrants Giuseppe and Theresa Costerella Zampogna. He was the 4th of 11 children. When he was a young boy his family moved to Kane, Pa., where his father owned a butcher shop and was an avid gardener. His mother was noted for her cooking and baked goods. Both instilled in him an interest in cooking.

After high school, Anthony worked at the Texas Hot Restaurant in Kane. On August 22, 1942, he married Margaret Perilla. He enlisted in the US Army Air Corps in 1942, where he served as a cook until his promotion to Officers Club Mess Sergeant at the Drew Field Army Air Force Base in Tampa, Florida.
Following his discharge, he returned to Kane, Pa, where Anthony was the manager and cook for the Kane Elks Club. He then became

the head chef at the Kane Country Club. In the mid 1950’s he moved to Cleveland, Ohio where he was a sou-chef at the Canterbury Country Club.

In 1959, Anthony was hired as chef for the Franciscan Friary by St. Bonaventure University. In the early 1960’s, he was promoted to Manager of Food Services for the University where he served until his retirement in 1979. At his retirement, he was specially honored by the President and Trustees for his years of service to the Bonaventure community. Among his many achievements were the creation of the St. Bonaventure Rathskeller and the opening of the St. Bonaventure Clubhouse Restaurant. During his tenure at St. Bonaventure, he provided food services for many area civic organization functions. He especially enjoyed sponsoring the Special Olympics Track and Field Day Competitions held on the school campus.

In 1979, he and his son Michael, along with their wives Margaret and Betsy, purchased the Ho-sta-geh Restaurant in Olean where he was manager and chef until his retirement in 1990. Under their ownership the Ho-Sta-Geh was remodeled and updated into one of the premier eating establishments in Western New York. Anthony died at his home in Olean on March 1, 2000.